zenbetty speaks...

wzenbetty speaks...

email me:
zenbetty@hotmail.com

© 2008 zenbetty
all rights reserved


wlinks

blog links:
40s@5
BigSleep666
biskitsmama
Chaos at the Luau
chepo.net
cut her butt
cut-out witch
dano's production journal
dog fanatic
the doppler effect
japher69
jybil
lunapad
missa of doom
nueces and kiwifruit
OZtin
packandgetdressed
pazam
pegorama
Pencil Haus
percy winterbottom
princess mal
reform school jill
RockSlap
san benito all stars
scurrilous
self contained unit
spentpenny
UberShauna

other links:
cory ryan
dano johnson
r. don smith
hell on wheels
pink swords
seed knowledge
self contained unit


warchives


-- HOME --


wprofiles

Technorati Profile




This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?

wMonday, February 21, 2005


Excerpt from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

the best scene ever:

EXTERIOR. FLAMINGO HOTEL - AFTERNOON

A GIANT SIGN: THE FLAMINGO WELCOMES THE NATIONAL DA'S
CONFERENCE ON NARCOTICS & DANGEROUS DRUGS.

DUKE (V/O)
If the Pigs were gathering in
Vegas, I felt the Drug Culture
should be represented as well...
and there was a certain bent appeal
in the notion of running a savage
burn on one Las Vegas hotel and
then just wheeling across town and
checking into another.

The WHITE WHALE turns into a VIP parking slot, immediately
attended by impressed MINIONS.

DUKE (V/O)
Me and a thousand ranking cops from
all over America. Why not? Move
confidently into their midst.

INTERIOR. FLAMINGO HOTEL LOBBY - AFTERNOON

DUKE enters -- old Levis, grubby sneakers, 10 peso Acapulco
shirt coming apart at the seams, 3 day growth, eyes hidden
behind mirror shades. He heads for the check-in line.

DUKE (V/O)
My arrival was badly timed.

THE PLACE IS FULL OF COPS. 200 of them, on vacation, all
dressed in cut price Vegas casuals: plaid Bermuda shorts,
Arnie Palmer golf shirts, and rubberized beach sandals.

Ahead of DUKE -- A POLICE CHIEF argues with the DESK CLERK.
The POLICE CHIEF'S AGNEW STYLE WIFE stands to the side,
weeping. The POLICE CHIEF'S FRIENDS stand uneasily around.

POLICE CHIEF
What do you mean I'm too late to
register? I'm a police chief.
From Michigan. Look, fella, I told
you.
(waves a POSTCARD)
I have a postcard here that says I
have reservations in this hotel.

CLERK
(prissily)
I'm sorry, sir. You're on the
"late list." Your reservations were
transferred to the... ah...
Moonlight Motel, which is out on
Paradise Boulevard...

POLICE CHIEF
I've already paid for my goddamn
room!

CLERK
It's actually a very fine place of
lodging and only sixteen blocks
from here, with its own pool and...

POLICE CHIEF
You dirty little faggot! Call the
manager! I'm tired of listening to
this dogshit!

FRIENDS restrain the POLICE CHIEF.

CLERK
(solicitously)
I'm so sorry, sir. May I call you
a cab?

The POLICE CHIEF's screamed insults fade away...

DUKE (V/O)
Of course, I could hear what the
Clerk was really saying...

CLERK
(IN DUKE'S IMAGINATION)
Listen, you fuzzy little shithead --
I've been fucked around, in my
time, by a fairly good cross-
section of mean-tempered rule-crazy
cops and now it's MY turn. "Fuck
you, officer, I'm in charge here,
and I'm telling you we don't have
room for you."

DUKE steps to the desk, around the raging POLICE CHIEF.

DUKE
Say. I hate to interrupt, but I
wonder if maybe I could just sort
of slide through and get out of
your way. Name's Raoul Duke --
Raoul Duke. My attorney made the
reservation.

DUKE snaps a credit card down onto the counter. EVERYONE
goes silent. The POLICE CHIEF GROUP stares at him like he
was some kind of water rat crawling up to the desk. The
CLERK hits the bell for the BELLBOY.

CLERK
Certainly, Mr. Duke!

DUKE
My bags are out there in that white
Cadillac convertible. Can you have
someone drive it around to the room?

ALL EYES turn to the gleaming WHITE WHALE.

DUKE
Oh, and could I get a quart of Wild
Turkey, two fifths of Baccardi, and
a night's worth of ice delivered to
my room, please?

CLERK
Don't worry about a thing, sir.
Just enjoy your stay.

DUKE
Well, thank you.

DUKE gives the POLICE CHIEF a polite smile -- crosses to the
elevator -- turns to face the GAWKING COPS -- pops a can of
beer and toasts them. The doors close.


posted by zenbetty at 10:06 AM