zenbetty speaks...

wzenbetty speaks...

email me:
zenbetty@hotmail.com

© 2008 zenbetty
all rights reserved


wlinks

blog links:
40s@5
BigSleep666
biskitsmama
Chaos at the Luau
chepo.net
cut her butt
cut-out witch
dano's production journal
dog fanatic
the doppler effect
japher69
jybil
lunapad
missa of doom
nueces and kiwifruit
OZtin
packandgetdressed
pazam
pegorama
Pencil Haus
percy winterbottom
princess mal
reform school jill
RockSlap
san benito all stars
scurrilous
self contained unit
spentpenny
UberShauna

other links:
cory ryan
dano johnson
r. don smith
hell on wheels
pink swords
seed knowledge
self contained unit


warchives


-- HOME --


wprofiles

Technorati Profile




This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?

wTuesday, May 02, 2006


New Year, New You

...right? Well, my "new year" starts now. I'm on a different fiscal year than January 1st, because, well I say so! I'm just too damn busy to start a new budget or take on new tasks in the middle of January...I can't even think straight until April.

So...May 1st it is! I now reopen my budget book. (You, too, can own one for under five bucks from any Office Depot store.)

My budgeting concerns this summer:
1) I need to replace my lost/stolen digital camera. New = +$300. Used = $100. Free would be better!
2) I want to replace my stolen iPod. New = +$300. Used = $100. Free would be better!
3) I would like to travel in a couple of months.
4) I would like to start saving some bucks cuz I'm not getting any younger.
5) Oh yeah, everyone except me hates my 1990 cell phone and says I should get a new one with text messaging, etc. We'll see...it sounds expensive.

I hate thieves! Did I mention that already?! Anyway, so this budget book has some tips, and I think they'd work for you, too. Believe you me, I'm not writing down all of them, just the ones I think I might be able to do. ha!

Money Saving Suggestions

-Spend less for certain expenses (cutting down on drinking in bars & eating out in restaurants, never buying cigarettes again, etc.)
-Be on the look out for weekly food specials, and use coupons.
-Use a shopping list and stick to it. Reduce "impulse" buying.
-Compare prices on everything everywhere. (Still, don't skimp when it comes to buying organic versus non. It's worth every penny.)
-Ride your bicycle as much as possible. Save money on gas. (Check out the nation's gas prices.)
-Bring your lunch from home instead of eating out every day.
-Just say No...to your credit card that is. Don't use 'em.
-Make use of your own (or your friends') skills instead of paying for services (such as washing your car, mowing your lawn, fixing your bike, making things instead of buying them, etc.)

Hmmm...That's a GREAT idea. Okay, then, let's see...maybe I can get by with a little help from my friends!

I Have Needs - YOU Can Help!

-Computer Help. My PC is totally kaput. And I have no idea how to fix it, or what to buy, or how to transfer my old stuff to a new hard drive, or where I would even go to ask all these questions. If you are out there and can help me, please do. Please email me: zenbetty@hotmail.com

-Digital Guru. If you have an iPod or a digital camera that you would like to sell to me, please do! Or if you have expert electronic knowledge and can point me in the right direction of my purchases, I would completely appreciate it and will take whatever advice you have.

-Bicycle Help. I have two bikes: 1 cruiser, 1 mountain bike. And I need to ride both much more. Can someone please help me to get both of these (or either one) into tiptop shape? Any advice on Austin bike laws...do I need lights in both the back & front, etc? Anyone who can help me do this (rather than paying full price in a bike shop), I would gladly reciprocate with beer and a home-cooked meal. (Does spaghetti count?) So please, let me know. Mucho Gracias!

-Hair Affair. Any of you ladies (or gentlemen) out there any good with hair? Heck, it's summer. Let's highlight it! Let's do something! Anyone good at cutting bangs at least? Anyone need a guinea pig in your salon chair, count me in.

-Car Shop Advice. I need to take my car in this summer. Please just give me some sage advice or simple words of lingo so that I don't get totally and completely ripped off. I hate that. I hate not being the master of my domain. I think I'm going in for a standard checkup and then they whip out the big fears. I used to work at one. I know.

-Greenhouse Rock. Any green thumbs out there? Jason? Advise me one weekend on how to go about growing my own tomatoes in the backyard? and cilantro? and jalapenos? Or whatever else grows well here with the least amount of maintenance...cuz my thumb is actually a wee tad brown.

-Dinner night. Anyone want to have a potluck every now & then. If ever I do cook, I only cook for one, so I tend to eat the leftovers for 2-3 days afterwards (boring). Else, I end up just throwing away large portions. What a waste. Let's have dinner and a movie.

-Keep Austin Free. Anything FREE FREE FREE in town, let me know. Concerts, lectures, art exhibits, etc! I'm willing to try anything once...for free!

-Beer Me. I'm recently TABC certified again. So if you know of any part-time jobs or any shifts someone needs filled in at the last minute, do let me know. I'm flexible! And willing.

And from my own experience, I know~

-Everyone loves a librarian. I frequent the library a lot. There, you can rent DVDs for free for an entire week. Check out books for free for three weeks. And renew once online to double that loan time.

--

So do let me know. I'm completely serious. If you have any free time this summer, I need help:

Computers, Cars, Cameras, Bikes, Beers, Books, Dinner & a Movie, etc. Okay, honestly, I could use your help. I have a few months to live & learn, to fit all my new year's resolutions and to-do lists into a concise little list and check them all off.

So...if you're out there. Help me in my crusade to becoming a better person. Thank you.

Please email me: zenbetty@hotmail.com.

zenbetty signing off.


posted by zenbetty at 3:25 PM